- 1 ⅕ cups steel cut oats
- 1 cup raw nuts pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 2 cups pitted dates, soaked for 10 minutes in warm water, then drained
- ¾ cup organic cacao powder
- ¼ cup almond butter (or peanut butter)
- ¼ cup maple syrup or organic raw honey
- In an oven preheated to 350 degrees F, toast oats and pecans on a cookie sheet for about 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Put raw walnuts in a food processor and pulse until grainy. Remove from bowl and set aside.
- Add dates and pulse until small bits remain (about 1 minute) until it forms a “dough” or “ball” like consistency.
- Add walnut meal and organic cacao powder back in with the dates and pulse until combined.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and add the toasted oats and nuts and stir well to incorporate.
- Over medium heat in a small pan, warm honey and almond (or peanut) butter for 2-3 minutes until it reaches a liquid consistency. Pour over brownie mixture and mix well using a wooden spoon (or your hands- it will be sticky).
- Transfer to a 11x7” or 9x9” baking pan, depending on desired thickness and consistency of bars (or similar size pan) lined parchment paper.
- Cover with parchment or plastic wrap and press down firmly to even out thickness and freeze for 15-20 minutes to harden.
- Lift bars from pan and chop into 12 even bars (or more if you prefer). Store in an airtight container in the freezer or fridge to keep them extra fresh. They will get a little sticky when left out at room temp.
This chocolaty treat has organic cacao powder, nuts, dates, and oats to provide a healthy breakfast or snack. Organic cacao powder has wonderful antioxidant and mood-boosting properties. The fiber from dates and oats will keep you full and focused in between meals. Walnuts and pecans used in the granola bar are full of heart healthy fats that will help your body absorb the all the nutrients this treat provides. Having chocolate cravings can be tough- and this good-for-you chocolaty granola bar will do the trick! Enjoy.