What is Betaine?
An amino acid made by choline in the body.
What does Betaine do?
- Prevents heart disease by aiding in prevention of plaque buildup in arteries
- Encourages muscle gains and fat loss due to its role in protein synthesis
- Aids detoxing the body, cellular function, and promotes liver function
Deficiencies and what to look for
- Deficiencies are rare in the US diet due to it being found in most wheat products
- Low betaine levels can cause homocysteine levels to be high, causing hardening of blood vessels, developmental delays, and blood clots.
- The main groups of people affected by betaine deficiencies are people aged over 50, alcoholics, and young children genetic abnormalities.