Vitamin E – antioxidant that protect cells free free-radicals (potentially cancer causing), functions in immune system maintenance, gene expression, and metabolism.
- Pantothenic Acid – energy metabolism
- Fiber – maintains the digestive system and good gut in bacteria (healthy gut=healthy body)
- Vitamin K – aids in blood coagulation
- Copper – US diets are low in copper, which can cause negative heart effects
- Folate – normal cell function, important in neural tube defect prevention in pregnant women
- Vitamin B6 – aid in energy for body
- Potassium – helps lower high blood pressure
- Vitamin C – antioxidant that maintains the immune system and skin
- Oleic Acid – protection against heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. Also anti-inflammatory.
- Contains heart healthy fats that help the body better absorb fat soluble nutrients (like vitamins D, E, K, & A) that are eaten with avocados (like vitamins D, E, K, & A) that are eaten with avocados.
- Low in sugar – low glycemic score, will not cause blood sugar to spike
AVOCADOS CONTAIN FODMAPS…
- FODMAPS are short-chain carbohydrates that may cause problems in people with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- FODMAPs have adverse effects on digestion that can lead to gas, cramping, bloat, stomach pain, diarrhea or constipation in sensitive individuals.
- For those who have IBS, monitor symptoms after eating avocados.
HOW TO USE:
- Make guacamole
- Add to salads, tacos, and chili Smear on toast with a poached egg
- Stuff avocados with tuna, crab, chicken, or egg salad
- Avocados can be used in place of dairy: use in place of butter for brownies, in place of oil for salad dressing, or in place of yogurt in a smoothie!